Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Hello, World

"Tellin' it like it is" is a phrase often heard to describe gentle, realistic, or sometimes just downright brutal honesty.  Known to my friends as the one to assuredly divulge my honest opinion, I aim to maintain the same truthfulness in my blog.  As I try my hand at blogging, I felt it necessary to approach the modern, digital public sphere in a way akin to my real life.

This past summer, I interned on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. for the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform.  My second summer in Washington, I was granted an unbelievable opportunity to intern in an office that shed light on the inner workings of our government and directed reforms to better our nation.  While I certainly ran my fair share of errands, tediously proofread lengthy bills, and made an unthinkable number of copies, the experience was simply irreplaceable.  I learned more about our government's operations and daily activity in one summer than I could have ever imagined possible. After graduation, I hope to land a highly coveted position on the Hill and ultimately work as a legislative assistant or a press secretary thereafter.

From this class, I desire to gain a basic understanding of digital communications and how it can apply it to practical careers post-graduation.  With aspirations to be a press secretary for a congressman or campaign, a knowledge of effective blogging techniques, video editing, and creating digital media posts or videos will improve my skills to achieve successful career in the press field.  Potential blogging topics of interest to me include technology on Furman's campus, social media on college campuses, and the up and coming Greenville (detailing all things new to Greenville).

No comments:

Post a Comment